Mold is never a good thing to find in your home. They grow wherever moisture is present and spread through the air and water. If mold is present, it can cause damage not only to the structure but also to you and any residents in your home.
Mold lives on organic materials like paper, wood, fabric, and other materials. Unfortunately, our homes are made of just that and can be a feeding paradise for mold if there is also moisture present. This can be because of poor ventilation, leaks, or previous water damage that wasn’t properly cleaned. When mold is in our homes, it can eat away at any of those organic materials, like the drywall, carpet, floors, beams, studs, and other important structures. If this is left unchecked, it can cause irreparable damage that can lead to collapse and cave-ins.
In addition to mold being a hazard to your home, it is also dangerous to anyone who lives in a home with mold growth. Mold exposure can cause different variations of sickness among residents from allergy and irritation to infections.
Since mold growth can be a huge problem, it’s really important that it is done properly. It can be dangerous and more costly to do it on your own without any professional experience. Here are 5 reasons why it may not be such a good idea to do your own mold removal.
Mold can have several negative impacts on the body and immune system. The most common effect that mold has on our bodies is allergic reactions, and it can also cause asthma attacks, eye and/or skin irritation, irritated throats/nose, and lung problems. Repeated mold exposure can increase one’s sensitivity, causing more severe allergic reactions. Exposure to certain molds that produce toxins called mycotoxins can cause more serious illnesses as well.
The spores of mold are unseen and can be places that one might not think to check. More often than not, the mold you cannot see causes more issues than the ones you can see. It might be behind walls, in crawl spaces, or cover larger areas than you are aware of. You can put tons of work into attempting to remove all the mold, and may not even scratch the surface. There could also be underlying issues that you are also not aware of and spend time on a fruitless job.
Most people do not know the ins and outs of mold and its growth. Mold removal is a complicated and lengthy process that most people don’t know about either. Unfortunately, mold spreads extremely easily. It spreads through air, water, clothing, and just about any other organic material it can stick to. The spores that come from mold can become airborne and spread without your knowledge and become a bigger issue. Not to mention that anything you use during a mold cleanup must also be thrown out. There are stages that professionals take to properly clean and remove equipment and items used in the process that you may not even know about. Failure to properly decontaminate after a removal process can reignite the issue, defeating the point of your hard work.
When you first see mold in your home, you may want to attempt to clean it up for yourself to quickly get rid of it. However, as stated previously, mold is a bigger danger and hassle than you should be dealing with on your own. It’s important to keep in mind the safety of yourself and those around you and leave mold removal to the professionals. Calling experts such as Restoration 1 of Texas Hill can not only help you take care of your mold issue, they can help you prevent future ones.